INSTALLATION AND OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS
INSTALLATION AND OPERATION
Please read all instructions carefully
before beginning installation.
#1 Phillips screwdriver (small)
C A U T I O N
To avoid electrical shock
and to prevent damage to
the furnace, air conditioner,
and thermostat, disconnect
DIGITAL MECHANICAL THERMOSTAT
Drill with 3/16-in. (4.8mm) bit
On replacement installations, mount
the new thermostat in place of the
old one unless the conditions listed
below suggest otherwise.
On new installations, follow the guidelines listed below.
1. Locate the thermostat on an inside wall, about 5 ft. (1.5m) above the floor, and in a
room that is used often.
the power supply before beginning
work. This can be done at the fuse
box, at the circuit breaker, or at
Complete, Easy To Read Programming And Installation Instructions Inside
LUX PRODUCTS CORPORATION • Mt. Laurel, New Jersey 08054, USA
WARNING: Use Energizer® or DURACELL® Alkaline Batteries Only.
Energizer® is a registered trademark of Eveready Battery Company, Inc.
DURACELL® is a registered trademark of The Gillette Company, Inc.
2. Do not install it where there are unusual heating conditions, such as: in direct
sunlight; near a lamp, radio, television, radiator, register, or fireplace; near hot
water pipes in a wall; near a stove on the other side of a wall.
3. Do not locate in unusual cooling conditions, such as: on a wall separating an
unheated room; or in a draft from a stairwell, door, or window.
4. Do not locate in a damp area. This can lead to corrosion that will shorten
5. Do not locate where air circulation is poor, such as: in a corner or an alcove; or
behind an open door.
6. Do not install the unit until all construction work and painting has been
I M P O R T A N T !
Thank you for your confidence in our product. To obtain the best
results from your investment, please read this manual and acquaint
yourself with your purchase before installing your new thermostat.
Then follow the installation procedures, one step at a time. This will
save you time and minimize the chance of damaging the thermostat
and the systems it controls.
7. This thermostat does not require leveling.
C A U T I O N
Read instructions carefully
These instructions may contain information beyond that required for your particular installation.
Please save for future reference.
REMOVING THE OLD THERMOSTAT
1. Remove cover from old
thermostat. Most are snap-
on types and simply pull off.
Some have locking screws
on the side. These must be
Switch electricity to the
before removing any wiring
from existing thermostat.
Wires must be labeled
before they are removed.
When removing wires from
their terminals, ignore the
color of the wires since
these may not comply with
• The unit can be used with most
24 volt gas, oil or electric heating and
air conditioning systems, gas millivolt
furnace and air conditioner OFF; then
proceed with the following steps.
heating systems, and single stage heat pumps.
It cannot be used with 120 volt heating systems
or two stage heat pumps. Ask your dealer for
other LUX thermostats to control those systems.
2. Note the letters printed near the terminals. Attach labels (enclosed) to each
wire for identification. Remove and label wires one at a time. Make sure the
wires do not fall back inside the wall.
3. Loosen all screws on the old thermostat and remove it from the wall.
• A large easy to read display shows you
the current room temperature at all times.
MOUNTING THE UNIT ON THE WALL
1. Press down on the button on top of thermostat and swing the body away
from the base and down to remove the body from the base.
• The unit has a built in digital control system
to accurately control the temperature in your home.
• The unit will learn the temperature characteristics of your home on a daily basis and
customize the control to give you the best comfort possible from a digital thermostat.
2. Strip insulation 3/8
in. (9.5mm) from wire
ends and clean off
3. Fill wall opening with
insulation to prevent
drafts from affecting
• You can also select a tighter temperature control if you have a forced hot water system or if
closer comfort is preferred over energy savings.
A press of either the Temperature Up or Down key will reveal the current Set Temperature.
A 4-minute minimum off time in COOL prevents your air conditioning system from being
Two Energizer® or DURACELL® “AA” alkaline batteries (not included) are used to retain
your time and temperature programs.
Be careful not to drop the body or disturb electronic parts.
• Your thermostat is a precision instrument. Please handle it with care.
• Turn off electricity to the appliance before installing or servicing thermostat or any part
of the system. Do not turn electricity back on until work is completed.
• Do not short (jumper) across electric terminals at control on furnace or air conditioner
to test the system. This will damage the thermostat and void your warranty.
• All wiring must conform to local codes and ordinances.
• This thermostat is designed for use with 24 volt and millivolt systems. The thermostat
should be limited to a maximum of 1.0 amps; higher amperage may cause damage to
the thermostat. If you are in doubt, call your utility company.
© COPYRIGHT 2004 LUX PRODUCTS CORPORATION. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED